Monday, January 11, 2010

reflections so far

So, we are up to Psalm 27 . Have you read daily? If not, do not despair - though despairing is a recurrent theme in the poetry of David . It is OK to either jump in or to catch up, it is only about 12 pages so far.

I have been jotting my thoughts down as I go along. Some Psalms are so familiar and others feel so foreign. Certainly it is fun to realize how many phrases we use in our daily lives and how many parts of our worship liturgy come from this Old Testament book.

So far, it is easy for me to identify with many of the verses - " answer me when I call to you, " who hasn't called that out in prayer? and the gentler plea - "give ear to my words, O Lord, consider my sighing, listen to my cry for help."

And then there are the exclamations -" I will praise you, O Lord, with all my heart I will sing praise to your name, O Most High. "
Psalm 15 is unnerving - " Who may dwell in your sanctuary? Who may live on your holy hill? He whose walk is blameless, and who does what is righteous, who speaks the truth from his heart, and has no slander on his tongue, " on and on...
Can I ever measure up I wonder, Ever???

And then as I read, along come the assurances - " You have made known to me the path of life; you will fill me with JOY in your presence, with eternal pleasures at your right hand." My heart swells at the hope of it.

Psalm 19 ends with the words we hear each week - " May the words of my mouth and the meditation on my hear be pleasing in your sight, O Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer. "
How my mother wishes I would pray these words each day- BEFORE I speak.

Psalm 23 flows from our memory but I did not remember that the very next one - Psalm 24, was a familiar one too.
The earth is the Lord's and everything in it, the world and all who live in it: A reminder that all that we have comes from God.

Today's reading - Psalm 26 and 27 feel both prideful and humble in their different tones.

I am enjoying reading the Psalms from many different versions. I like the lilt of the old King James versions and the Revised Standard Version, but when I am reading a more stilted Psalm, or one I do not identify with as well, I find I appreciate the newer New International Version for clarity.

Whatever the emotion, whatever the language, I am greatful to be reading along with others from St. John's.

As you read, jot down a note or two and post your thoughts here so that we may all grow in our understanding of this, His Holy Word.

yours in Christ,
beverly kipp ;

No comments:

Post a Comment